Friday 10 May 2013

Final year project update 3

To create the leaves and particle simulation I used regular Maya particles. I used a volume axis field to give a direction and some turbulence to the particles.


The rotation comes from a per particle expression. I wanted the leaves to scale up to 1 from 0 as they were born so I attached a ramp to a custom per particle attribute. There are creation expressions for the scale and rotation per particle and a runtime before dynamics expression to keep them rotating.


This ramp represents the particles scale over their lifespan.


Once I had established a preliminary animation/simulation I needed to create some leaves.


I acquired some textures from a range of sources including my garden and the internet. I 'cut them out' and color corrected them in photoshop.


I didn't want to model the leaves individually and had some bad experiences with rendering leaf textured cards with transparency in mental ray for all of the passes. I did some digging and discovered a Maya feature called 'Texture to geometry'. After toying with this feature I got some results I could use. Useless faces were  shaded by a shader related to the texture's alpha, so I could select and delete them, leaving me with some weird leaves.


Unless I need these leaves to deform, the topology is acceptable. It is easy enough to remove non border edges and re-cut manually later. I wanted to work this way as I knew I may change the leaves later.

Following this all was required to do to move on was use an instancer to assign leaves to the individual particles. I used another creation expression per particle to choose random leaves from the instancer index. I duplicated leaves I wanted to favour and balance the appearance of the different coloured leaves.


All that remains for this section is to infinitely tweak and improve my animation! I have a good idea about the composition with the leaves and the empty space in the frame is intentional breathing space for my CG leaves!


In my next blog entry I will go over the lighting and probably the rendering too.

No comments:

Post a Comment